A Family Story
Cliff and Betty Phelps began Mountain View Meat Company in 1974. Cliff served four years in the Navy, worked as a youth pastor, and also served in the Oklahoma Air National Guard. Meat might seem like a strange business to choose with his experience. Still, the couple had a goal to provide customers with quality meat from their wholesale packing plant while serving the community. They started slowly and traveled to nearby stores in a one-ton truck to sell their products and build their reputation. Their plan worked, and they began serving the local community from their custom processing plant. Family recipes for hotlinks and sausages developed over the next few years and quickly became enduring customer favorites.
Their youngest son, Mike, took over the family business after their passing. Now he and his family and his brother-in-law, Larry, work together to continue the legacy that Cliff and Betty built. Over the course of 50 years and countless sausages, Mountain View has grown to become a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, perfecting the art of sausage making and distributing their famous hot links to grocery stores, restaurants and homes all across the country.
Additionally, Mountain View Meat Company has over 20 employees, growing not just in size but in impact too, one hotlink at a time. By keeping their facilities local, the Mountain View team is honored to provide jobs to families in their hometown. This is sure to increase as the company grows, making it an essential job creator for rural Oklahoma. Local is so much more than where you purchase your food. Local comes with a story; local comes with a heart. Local is a hotlink made with love using the original Phelps family recipe.
Mountain View’s History Highlights
- 1973 – Cliff & Betty Phelps, along with their 5 children, moved to Stilwell, Oklahoma.
- May 1974 – Cliff & Betty opened Mountain View Meat Company, pedaling fresh meats and goods from a single delivery truck.
- 1975 – Mountain View built its first facility and expanded its offering to include custom processing of pigs, beef, and deer.
- Early 1980s – Started producing our famous hot links and mild links under the “Mountain View Meats” brand.
- Late 1980s – Expanded our sausage line to include Andouille Sausages & Polish Sausages.
- 1999 – Mountain View officially becomes a USDA Federally Inspected facility.
- Early 2000s – Created the first retail-ready full-color Mountain View brand logo (the one we use today!).
- 2007 – Expanded our smoked sausage production to include a 19,000-square-foot production facility.
- 2012 – Introduced our first new smoked sausage flavor in 20 years, the Jalapeno Cheddar Sausage!
- 2014 – Refreshed our retail packaging and began popping up in retail grocery stores all across Oklahoma.
- 2015 – Shipped our first truckload of smoked sausages to the state of Florida and began to strengthen our partnerships with restaurant chains all across the country!
- 2022 – Launched our online marketplace at mountainviewmeats.com and started shipping our famous smoked sausages nationwide!
- 2023 – Made our first national television appearance with our brand launch on QVC!
- 2024 – Cheers to 50 Years! Celebrated our success with a makeover!